Tuesday, March 25, 2014

That's rad, man.

Dear GizmoDoc,

So when I get dental X-rays, why does the tech put on this huge lead vest and run out the of the room, while I just sit there with a weird sharp plastic guard in my mouth? Shouldn't I get a huge lead vest too? WTF? Isn't all that radiation bad for me?


Charles G., Pawhuska, Oklahoma



Charles,

That is a great question.
The answer: the dental x-rays are probably not bad for you. The reason the tech puts on the vest is because they get much more exposure, blasting morons like you with x-rays.

A typical bite-wing x-ray (that put those weird sharp things in your mouth) will have an effective dose 5-10 micro-Sieverts (µSV). This is a very low level of exposure, and it would take nearly 200,000 bite-wing x-rays, in a short period of time, to get to a point where you have even a small chance of developing cancer. In fact, did you know that every hour you spend in an airplane at cruising altitude carries about ~2.5 µSV of exposure? Meaning every flight from JFK to LAX you get about the same amount of radiation as a bitewing x-ray, a tiny amount.

Now the typical medical advice blog would pretty much end here. But I know what you were thinking, Charles. 

"Can radiation exposure give me superpowers?"

My gut tells says "yes". There are billions of us. Weirder things have happened. Who would have thought that the girl who banged Moesha's brother would be on the cover of Vogue? Look at this clear evidence of real-life super-powers

Das Uberboy. X-ray Vision Girl. Battery Man. This shit is real.

The conclusion is clear: 1) superpowers are real, 2) you'll find me getting continuous dental x-rays aboard an airplane so I can join this illustrious band of super-heroes.



Thank you for your question.  You can always reach us at patientquack@gmail.com.
Remember, you get what you pay for...which in this case is bad advice for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment